Sunday, August 06, 2006

Janell Burse needs to stay a Storm Player

Okay, I'm writing this blog because all of a sudden, it has come to everyone's attention that JB is indeed a free agent by the end of this year. Crap. Crap. Crap.

As a Storm fan, I've watched players that I love walk away for higher salaries and more playing time. Just after we won the championship, we lost three important players. Tully Bevilaqua left for more money and a starting position in Indiana. That one stung probably the most, but it was understandable. If you were her and you had a chance to start instead of backing up Sue Bird, you'd take it too. Still stings though everytime I see her name on the Fever roster. Kamila Vodichkova, our starting center at that point, left for Phoenix. This one confused me quite a bit because Kamila was starting already for us so it had to be that she was just paid more in Phoenix. Kamila had been there since the beginning of the Storm, so when she left, it was heartbreaking. I guess the blow was softened by the development of JB as a crazy good center. Sheri Sam left for Charlotte, and, although it was still a sad moment, I wasn't as affected by it as with the rest. Take note this happened in one freaking offseason so they all kinda compounded each other.

Well, I survived through that and survived through that 2005 season after such huge losses. I've learned to love everyone after that that has put on a Storm uniform. However, this time, it's different. Simply put, the Seattle Storm cannot lose Janell Burse.

When JB first came to the Storm, she wasn't very good. Under the tutelage of Anne Donovan and hard work on her part, she has now emerged as one of the premier centers in the league. Now, Storm fans have cheered her and her development on. If she gets away, we'd have to wait for Ashley Robinson or someone else to develop just like she has. Seriously. I cannot handle another project center.

If JB goes, everything changes for the worst.

1.) LJ won't have anyone in the paint with her to take pressure off her a bit.

2.) When LJ is on the bench, Sue and the other grounds have to pass it to posts that, seriously, at this point, cannot handle any kind of pass. JB can.

3.) We lose about 12 points and 7 rebounds a game. Those stats really lie. It seems more and more like she gets about 15 points and 10 rebounds a game.

4.) There will be an increase in the number of turnovers (because, as I've said Tiffani Johnson and Ashley Robinson still can't handle passes) and a decrease in the number of second chance points.

5.) There will be more ticky tacky fouls in the post when LJ goes to the bench because Tiff and Ashley (and I love them, really) seem to just foul when they try to defend...or they let them have an easy basket. JB can at least defend without giving up a foul.

See, the thing is, I'm a big fan of A-Rob and even Tiff Johnson is kinda growing on me (I love everyone in a Storm uniform,so....). However, neither of them can start at this point. A-Rob MAY develop into another great post, but that's not guaranteed and I don't know if I can sit through another uncertain year. We have Wendy Palmer next year too, which is great, but it doesn't diminish our need for JB. Imagine if we had LJ, JB and a healthy Wendy Palmer off the bench??? That would be insanely good.

Finally, the fact of the matter is, Janell Burse has been a part of the Storm since I became a Storm fan and if she leaves, it will just be like another part of me has died. The part that sits beside the places vacated by the losses of Tully, Kamila and Sheri. Frankly, it would be devastating.

So, Anne Donovan, if you're reading this blog, please please please just offer JB a maximum contract. Trust me, other teams are very interested in taking her, so the sooner you can get her signed, the better. Betty Lennox, I hear you and JB are best friends. Please please please talk her into staying with the Storm. And JB, please please please stay in Seattle. We promise we'll be loyal to you if you're loyal to us. That means we'll cheer you on again every step of the way as you become even better and better.

No comments: