Sunday, August 06, 2006

Seattle Storm vs. Charlotte Sting

Storm- 87
Sting- 81

Yes!!!

Before I go into the game, I'd like to discuss the playoff picture for the Storm. The Storm have finished with a winning record at home (thank God) and now they only need to win one of their final three games to clinch a playoff spot. It's actually a lot harder than it sounds. The remaining road games are against Detroit, San Antonio and Houston. I would love to beat Detroit, but I just don't know if we can do it. The next game, San Antonio, is a winnable game. However, they did beat us at the Key this year. They're also playing for pride now as they are out of the playoffs and teams like these are dangerous. In my opinion, we HAVE to win this game. Houston has been in our heads since they beat us twice at home in the playoffs last year. On the other hand, they're probably more injured than the Storm are now. If we can't beat Detroit or San Antonio (shudder), then we might have a chance at beating Houston, although I certainly wouldn't put any money on it.

On the other hand, Phoenix, that pesky team that still has a chance to oust us, has a much easier schedule. Minnesota, Houston, San Antonio and Sacramento. Minnesota? Good as done. Phoenix is going to beat them. Houston, I'm not too sure but given their injuries and the fact that they are a pretty old lineup, I think that Phoenix could pull this off. San Antonio might be able to beat Phoenix but what I'm really clinging to right now is the Sacramento Monarchs. Please please please play like you want to win that game and don't rest your starters. Oh please, please, please. I will forever be indebted to the Monarchs organization if they do this.

A loss by Phoenix or a win by Seattle seals our playoff spot. Simple as that. I wish we still had some cellar dweller teams on our schedule, but we don't and it seems to me that this is really the time that the entire team has to just pound on to get that one win.

The Game

While listening to the game, I found myself not really concentrating on the game as much as I should have. I found myself just listening to the crowd's cheers and their intensity. It was awesome. It felt kind of sad that this is the last home game for this year and next year is a completely different situation. By that time, will we have a clearer idea of what will happen to the Storm or will things still remain in limbo? If we do have a clearer idea, will it be what I want or will it be something I will hate? The uncertainty is killing me, really, and it made last night's game more important. It made that game right before Sacramento (when the teams were sold) even more important as well. I feel for the fans in Seattle. I can personally follow any other team in the league if I wanted to without a problem. It would be the same as supporting the Storm from afar, although I'd hate it. I don't go to games and they haven't become a part of my life (except listening to them). For those that have gone to games for the past seven years, have gone to STH events and all, what will it be like for them to have the team leave? If I'm so affected by it from afar, how much more must it suck for them? These kinds of thoughts really kind of dampened my listening experience, but I did manage to stick around for the whole game.

It was a pretty sloppy game. There were a lot of turnovers that were cringe-worthy. According to David Locke, Charlotte overplays and is one of the best at forcing turnovers. I have to admit, I wasn't aware of that, but by the middle of the night, I was more aware of it than ever. It really didn't feel like we were going to lose the game. On the other hand, it didn't feel like a game we comfortably won. I wasn't at the game, but from what I heard, some possessions were just forced and ugly. On the bright side, we still won that game and if we can win a game with 24 turnovers, then I really like our chances in any game when we actually take better care of the ball.

Betty Lennox has returned, thankfully, posting 22 points for us and really just dominating the first quarter of that game. If Betty keeps this up, we're going to be just fine in the playoffs. I also don't think she was forcing her shots too much in the game, as opposed to previous games. I heard plays when she'd drive, have nowhere to go and kick out to someone to reset or to try and find a hole. Yes!!! That is possibly the best news I've heard all day.

Lauren Jackson 20 points, 11 rebounds, 2 blocked shots and 3 assists. MVP! MVP! I'm not actually sure if they managed to get an MVP chant going at the Key yesterday, but I sure as hell was cheering it over here.

Janell Burse!!! 23 points and 12 rebounds for JB! She's possibly the most important piece of the puzzle right now. LJ's always injured in some area or the other and gets double and tripled team practically every play. What's happening this year and even parts of last year is that LJ is able to pass the ball to JB and JB is able to score. Apart from this, JB is a monster rebounder, usually going up to get shots she misses. Bad news: JB is a free agent at the end of this year. I'll talk about it more in my next entry, but PLEASE, for the love of God, Anne Donovan, please get her a maximum contract. She cannot be in another uniform next year.

Nice play from Izi although she only scored eight points this time. I think she's got her groove back and this is key as well in the playoffs. Sue only had 4 points. She didn't really have a great game but, hey, the team won anyway, so if Sue lights it up at any time during the playoffs, watch out. Barbara Turner finally got a basket after not scoring for four games, I think. Edwige hit her two shots. I actually really really like Edwige Lawson-Wade. I think she might just be the answer to our prayers for an adequate backup point.

Good game, great crowd. Now if the Storm can just win one more game, we're on to the playoffs!!

GO STORM!!

No comments: