Monday, August 07, 2006

Blue Jays FINALLY start a win streak

After a gruelling road trip that basically ended the chance we had at keeping up with the Yankees and the Red Sox, the Jays promptly lose the next two games at home against the White Sox, before winning their last game with them and the next game against the Baltimore Orioles. So, that's 2 wins in a row now. In the past 10 games, they've gone 3-7.

The Jays are a vastly improved club from last year, but they still don't seem to be getting that winning mentality. They were in a good spot when they left on that killer road trip with Boston faltering and the Yankees were only a few games ahead of us. This is where all the offseason acquisitions and peppering up of the offense of the club should have taken charge and should have led a push towards the postseason. I'm not even saying that we could have surpassed the Yankees or the Red Sox at this point. All we needed was a legitimate push towards the playoffs. Surprisingly, the thing that failed the Jays the most during that trip was the offense, something that was vastly improved in the offseason.

The Jays are fourth now in the wildcard race and faltering. We need to win the next few games against Baltimore. No more season splits. After Baltimore, they face the Minnesota Twins who are ahead of them in the wildcard race. This is going to be interesting because the Twins are a very good team. I'm a Joe Mauer fan myself. In fact, I have him on my team on my PS2 baseball game. After the Twins come Tampa Bay and the next few series should be easy. My point is that I'm going to hinge what happens in the final stretch of the season on the Twins series. Make it my make or break series. If they can win the series, show me their intensity and their sense of urgency, I'll find renewed hope for the season. If they can't, then I believe that they have no chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go jays go! :D