Wednesday, August 02, 2006

An Act of Kindness

Okay, I'm getting a little teary here just thinking about it. If anyone needs any more proof of why being a Storm fan is so great, here it is.

I've been wanting to get a Storm media guide for ages. Like, when I visited Seattle, I asked if they were selling it, but they weren't. I found one on eBay and was bidding for it until it reached like forty dollars or something. I wondered if it was any good anyway and if it was worth me bidding higher and higher for it. I asked around on the stormfans.org forum and found out that it wasn't really worth forty bucks or higher. End of story, right?

No. Just as I was resigning myself to the fact that I would probably never see one in my life as long as I lived away from Seattle, I got a message from one of the board members. She offered to give me a media guide free of charge. She didn't know me personally, and I hardly post on the board. But there she was offering to GIVE me one for FREE. All she asked in return was to repay this act of kindness to someone else and continue to support the Storm.

Why am I getting teary? This is what makes me glad I'm a Storm fan. It's such a unique and genuine community of people who are kind and generous. It's a great community to "feel" like a part of. It's a great community to learn from.

It brings me back to the time I visited Seattle for the games. The people there were just as accommodating and generous. Remember the guy that gave me tons of Storm stuff free of charge, just because I was a fan?

I don't want to compare but, when I went to the Storm games, people smiled at me and were polite. When I'd accidently bump into someone, I'd apologize and it would all be okay and over. I went to a Blue Jays game a few weeks ago and this drunk girl practically bit my sister's head off for stepping on her foot. I was a little freaked out by that and I ended up never leaving my seat so as not to encounter her wrath.

I'm even willing to go as far as saying that the fans a team has helps make it what it is. Yeah, now I know even more why the Seattle Storm are such a great team.

1 comment:

kilcher said...

Seattle Storm fans are the greatest. I live in the Philippines and someone ( nellie, i think ) sent me dvds of some storm games, free of charge. And jimmyK also sent me some Birdy cards.

Obviously, I'm not from the Seattle area but I really love the Storm and its fans. :)