Friday, March 16, 2007

Duke Blue Devils NCAA Preview

I'm done with my "March 13 from hell" where I had two essays and a midterm so now I can finally immerse myself (almost) completely into March Madness. :)

Duke is the number one overall seed in the tourney, which means they get to play in the Greensboro Region. They play their first game on Sunday at 7:00 PM against Holy Cross, a team that has not even had a .500 season this year. They managed to get in by winning their conference tournament, something that I have to admit the Blue Devils didn't do. I'd say I'm pretty darn optimistic about this game but I don't want to write it off either (because there's still a superstitious part of me).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/ncaatourney07/bracket

Here's a look at the bracket. If the Blue Devils get past Holy Cross (Okay, I'm actually hoping they manhandle them just so I can start relaxing a bit about this whole darn thing), they may get to go against the Dawn Staley-led Temple Owls, a game I'd kill to see.

Other things about the Duke-side of the bracket, Rutgers is our number 4 seed. Now I spent the whole season telling Kilcher (a die-hard Uconn-er) that UConn would breeze past any Big East opponent and they were really on a whole different level from the rest of the Big East. Then comes the conference tournament finals where, for some unfathomable reason to me, Rutgers beats UConn. THEN they appear in my side of the bracket. Part of me still thinks that Rutgers is just not that good this year but they're apparently better than I previously thought. Now I'm going to be extremely uneasy about them. There's nothing worse than saying all year that a team just isn't up to par and then having that same team ruin your team's season.

As for the other seeds in the Duke bracket apart from Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Michigan State kind of pop out to me as possible stumbling blocks. I know Arizona State is the 3rd seed but I haven't kept track of them all year so they are an unknown variable to me right now.

Overall, I'm cautiously pleased about our bracket. I don't think there's anything there that's unfair or insurmountable. If you want any of that, you may want to look at the Dayton bracket. :) Tennessee, Maryland, Oklahoma and Ohio State...yeah, that's pretty much a killer right there. If anything, that portion of the bracket should be getting the most air time. I'm definitely excited to see those games. Whoever gets out of this bracket will have been through the fire and back and survived. Either they'll be scarily good or scarily exhausted both physically and mentally.

I shall be wearing all Blue Devil gear every day that Duke has a game. Shirt, Sweater, Cap and maybe I can even get my sister to draw the Blue Devil logo on my arm. I'm really really excited.

Argh, six games to the title. I'm only a spectator but I think I'm going to go crazy every single day til this whole thing ends.

GO BLUE DEVILS!!!

No comments: