Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Coach Goestenkors Rumors

Apart from watching the NCAA Women's Tournament closely and devotedly, I've been following this piece of news with horror and dread.

Yes, there has been much more shocking news in women's basketball in the past few weeks. One of them being the Pokey Chatman scandal. She resigned as LSU's head coach right before the tournament. While no evidence has come out yet, the rumblings are that she was found to have exhibited inappropriate conduct with a former player. Yes, this is definitely bigger and more damaging than the rumor that is now playing tricks on my mind.

As a Duke fan though, that takes second seat to much scarier rumblings.

Coach G leaving Duke after this season.

Rumors started after Jody Conradt resigned as Texas HC on Selection Monday. At this point, I was just sad that she had resigned. Then the articles started coming out and forums have been buzzing. Coach G heads their list of potential successors. People on the Texas board were thrilled to hear this. As they should be.

The way Coach G handles herself and conducts her program, her class and integrity, have made it easy for me to be a Duke fan, to root for them. I started out as a die-hard UConn fan. When I realized I wanted to cheer for a program for it being what it is instead of being Sue Bird's alma mater, I searched for a team that I could follow and latch on to. Duke had signed a fantastic shooter in Abby Waner. So check that off my list. I love pure and damn good shooters. I also found out that they had a superb point guard in Lindsey Harding. Okay, I need a team with a great point guard to kinda be Birdy-like. Check that one off. Other teams had one or even both of these. What pushed it over the edge for me was the entire quality of the program. I read press conference quotes, read about their history. I loved Coach G and the job she had done in building that program and assembling a classy group of players. She also seemed like someone I'd like to play for (with another foot in height of course).

I know I'm a noob in terms of being a Duke fan but I am one and I have been for the past two years. Losing Coach G, maybe because some stupid, idiotic, *%&($ Athletic Director decides not to match the money some other big program offers her, would hurt a lot. Alleva makes some dumbass comments about how coaches like Auriemma and Summit bring money to their programs while the Duke program does not. But then he goes and says that he hopes Coach G would stay. Umm....after saying that? Basically trashing the program saying, you know, we don't need to match because she's not really an elite coach? That's bull.

Should we review the past fifteen years Coach G has dedicated to Duke? Should we review wins, losses, recruiting, NCAA appearances? How about something that may not translate into numbers? Respectability, class, integrity? How about putting the Duke women on the map, garnering attention as one of the top...TOP programs in the country?

Duke's athletic department would be insane to let Coach G walk. Insane. Okay, tell me. Who the hell are you going to get to replace her that can be as successful or more successful than she has been? DON'T. DO. IT.

On a more pragmatic note, my problem with this is how this will affect future recruiting and even the competitiveness of this program. My problem with this, on a personal note, is if they get some annoying personality on the Duke sideline. It would be very hard for me to cheer for them.

If Coach G chooses to leave, then that's another story. I can't really blame her for it. But it would sadden me greatly.

Anyway, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now.

There's still this NCAA Tournament to follow. :) GO BLUE DEVILS!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heck, with a name like Pokey, no wonder she's involved in a scandal! ;)