Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Toronto Varsity Blues vs. Ryerson Rams =)

Okay, I saw the final home game of the Varsity Blues tonight. I had to wade through deep snow and blistering wind to get there too. Luckily, we won, so I went home a happy camper.

Toronto played really well. They utilized a lot of backdoor cuts and they executed their transition game.

I'm not a regular at these games as they're on weekends and I head home on weekends so I'm not familiar with the players. They missed a bunch of easy layups in the 2nd half when Ryerson was almost back in the game. Overall, though, my team was much better than the other team and we finish the season at 12-10.

One thing I did note was that their level of play seemed at least one level below that of the NCAA schools I watch most of the time. This isn't meant to be a diss to the Varsity Blues because I really enjoyed my time at the game awhile ago. This is just an observation. A lot of weird turnovers and out of control plays. Everytime someone would steal the ball and go the other way, it didn't turn out well probably 40% of the time.

Still, however, I had a blast and I'm looking at a way to get involved in that team next year which will be impossible since:
A. I'm not in the Physical Education Program (I think they get their managers from there)
B. I've never played basketball in my life
C. I'm probably the most un-sporty looking in the world.

Anyway, I'll see what develops. Maybe I can ask to cover women's sports for our newspaper, who knows.

On another note, the Varsity Blues play in a gym. With bleachers. It's not even an arena. It's in the middle of the sports and recreation centre. :( So much for that college basketball experience. I should have just gone to school in the US. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww... come on, dude, I'm waaay MORE un-sporty looking than you... ;) Think of it this way--NO WAY would I have walked through that blistering wind to watch a game... That's like extreme sports right there. ;)