Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thanksgiving Weekend

Yesss!!!! I'm so happy it's Thanksgiving this week. I know my class schedule is pretty light and everything, but it still feels great to get a holiday. Plus Thanksgiving means a great big meal at my aunt's house. :)

I spent the day trying to write my outline for my Lit class. It's supposed to be about the predicament of the character in Eliot's poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". Mainly, I'm writing the outline using lines from the book as explanations. Like if I say that Prufrock feels like he is disconnected from the world, I'll cite lines and then explain how they do support my claim. Anyway, the big problem is that it's supposed to be for an essay that is 4-5 pages long. But the outline is supposed to be contained in 1 page WITH the supporting details in it. WTF??? So now I'm trying desperately to cut it down. And it's not like my points are very extraordinary anyway...sigh....

I just started to read my Max Weber book for my other report and it's been going well so far. Basically, he believes that capitalism did not only arise due to economic goals but also because of religious goals. He says that capitalists see earning more and more profit as a "calling" and that not doing so to the best of one's ability would make God unhappy. It's an interesting take on it even if it's not something I can completely feel comfortable with. However, Weber does cite various historical examples to back his claims. I'm still struggling, however, with figuring out whether or not he approves of capitalistic enterprises because of his theory. It probably does not matter in the long run (i.e. my paper), but it's something that I'm just wondering about. It's possible that he's just talking about his theory of capitalism while not showing his opinions on the morality of it all.

My sis and I went to Red Lobster today and had their "endless shrimp" special. We had it on my birthday but we couldn't enjoy it too much because we got this really creamy shrimp pasta that prevented us from eating more shrimp. Anyway, we vowed to go back one time, not order that pasta, and eat plate after plate of shrimp....Thinking about it now, maybe it wasn't such a good game plan... :)

BTW, the Maple Leafs lost today against Montreal. Out of three games, they've only won one (yesterday's 6-0 drubbing of Ottawa). I'm pretty bummed. As if this wasn't bad enough, the other team I just began minorly rooting for (because of their goalie, Cam Ward), the Carolina Hurricanes, don't have a win yet in the new season after winning the Stanley Cup last year. I think I really am the cursed fan...sigh....

Oh yeah, and in the Yankees-Tigers series at least, I was rooting for the Yanks....that didn't turn out very well at all.

So I'm going to try and change it up a bit...I really don't like whoever is going to get out of the Cardinals-Padres series so I'm gonna cheer on whoever wins this series to win the whole thing. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can never get enough of that endless shrimp! ;)