Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Feeling a little overwhelmed

I've literally been reading about a hundred pages a day (and then I have to read some over again to actually understand them). I just found out that we have this paper on Marx and Weber due in a month and it's supposed to be the hardest paper to do. Apart from this, at about the same time, I'm going to have my Plato paper due. Oh yeah, and I have to work on my Machiavelli report really soon. I don't even want to know when my English introduction is due.

On the bright side, I found my POL 200 class really interesting today. My professor is pretty cool. I was just telling myself how much Socrates sounds so sarcastic and arrogant in the works of Plato. Anyway, I was telling myself that it was just because I was sore that I had to read it (although I did find it interesting). When I got to class awhile ago, though, he was pretty much making fun of Socrates as well. And Plato (slash Socrates I guess since he was the one supposed to be speaking even if Plato wrote it) asked a very apt question. Is it worth it to act justly if there are no benefits and people still persecute you or they deem you unjust when someone who is acting unjustly is getting rewarded? I mean, I know it seems like a pretty closed answer. Of course you should. But really, would I? Or would it be all blurred as to what is the just thing? Heck, justice is hard enough to define as it is.

Anyway, I'm planning to do some heavy studying tomorrow. Really. I promise myself even. I'm gonna head out to a coffee place and bring all my study materials....

I'm feeling sleepy right now but tomorrow, I'm going to be feeling very intellectual. :)

2 comments:

kilcher said...

I can still remember my social science class in college. I had a hell of time trying to understand everything Plato and company wanted to say and to write a decent paper to pass the class. I hate classes with lots of readings hehehe. But that's just me, after all, we're not really required to read stuff like that in my course.

Good luck. Happy studying! :)

Anonymous said...

Another interesting question: Who determines what makes an action just/unjust? Is justice a fixed ideal, or is it a concept determined by those in power?

Good luck with Plato et al! ;)