Monday, July 31, 2006

My Road to Being a Storm Fan Part 3

2006.

Living in Toronto has its perks. One of them is that it is much cheaper and easier to fly to Seattle. That's exactly what I did as soon as my school year was over. My family and I flew over to Seattle to catch 2 games!!

We won those two games (one against the defending champions, the Sacramento Monarchs), and my experience in Seattle was probably the best trip I have ever had. In fact, watching those two games in person reaffirmed everything I have heard about Storm fans. They are loud, friendly, and overall just a fun bunch of people.

We stayed right beside Key Arena, but during the day of the game, my sister and I loitered around Key Arena from about 9 in the morning because I just didn't want to do anything else but be at the Key. Nearing game time, some people outside the arena spoke to us (hence, the friendly part). I loved everything inside the Key (despite everyone thinking that its so outdated, I loved it...but I haven't been in a lot of arenas so maybe I don't know what I'm saying). There was even this guy that gave me a lot of Storm stuff (for free!) when he found out I was a huge Sue Bird fan from Toronto. It's too bad I lost his email address when I got back so I didn't get to thank him properly.

I loved the seats, I loved the court, I loved the people sitting beside me, in front of me and behind me, I loved the cheers, I loved the clips they showed on the jumbotron, I loved the posters around the arena. In other words, I was in Storm basketball heaven.

When I got back to Toronto, I continued to follow the team, and this is where I stand right now. The Storm are my team, and I'll support them no matter what happens this season or the next.

No comments: