Friday, November 09, 2007

Upcoming Women's College Basketball Season

So I stopped blogging during the WNBA Season for a number of reasons:

1. I was extremely busy this summer, starting with a trip to Seattle and New Jersey. When I got back, my sister and I immediately began to look for a new apartment to move into, then we had to pack everything up and move in the same month.

2. The season was just not a great season for me. There was this whole, this might be the last season of the Storm in Seattle thing looming over it. While this should have given me more of a sense of "fan urgency", I found myself drained after games and thinking about games. I listened to them, watched them when I could and chatted with people about them. But I didn't feel like writing about them. This was also partly because this was a shitty season for the team playwise. Once again, there were signs of brilliance in between disappointing play. I love the Storm, but this season was tough.

On a last WNBA note, I LOVED my time in Seattle and, guess what happened to me? I saw the team when I flew out. They were on my plane and I managed to get a pic with Anne Donovan! I almost hyperventilated right there. By the way, she's super nice and meeting her and her being nice to me is going to make me an ardent supporter forever. So anyone who wants to criticize her has to come through me. :)

And in the dorkiest of moments, like always, I was wearing my Storm hoodie. Yeah, pathetic.

----------------

Now it's time for the WCBB season to start! Somehow being in school makes me less busy and I'm thrilled to be blogging about the progression of "The McCallie Era" in Durham. Yes, the Blue Devils are still my team. I wanted to sign up for Duke's Inside Access to catch the games either through watching or listening to them but it was just way too expensive for my student budget. There are other things that I need to pay for first before I even consider that. So, like last year, I'm going to be posting stats only and thoughts based on those stats. I agree that stats never tell the full picture but they're all I have to go by. Besides that, I think I can get some of the intangibles of the game from message boards and DWhoops.com (the best site out there), as well as news outlets from Durham.

I'm going to do a comparison this year between Duke and their opponents stats such as FG%, 3PT%. Also, I'll be keeping track of attendance, just because I want to see whether or not this has grown this year, given all the praise given to Coach P about really selling the program. I hope it does. I'm also going to try to link interesting Duke articles along the way.

I won't be doing UConn stats anymore, even if I'm still a fan just because I was reading through last year's basketball season posts and I got really confused. Instead, I'll be following two teams based on a monthly basis (hopefully, if I remember). They are UConn and UW (First, because it's in Seattle and second because Tia Jackson is now the UW coach). These will have their monthly record, game scores and the best stat line per game.

Can you feel it? That's the excitement of WCBB. I sure can. GO DUKE!

No comments: