Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Random NCAA Women's Basketball Stuff

Elite Eight is done and Final Four is set.

UNC will take on Tennessee
Rutgers will take on LSU

First of all, the moment I decide to cheer for UConn the rest of the way, they lose. Needless to say, I'm losing all faith in my predicting power and I'm gaining more faith in my being a jinx to the teams I root for.

Still though, I thought I'll give the Final Four a chance. Anyway, I dislike both UNC and Tennessee so it doesn't matter if I jinx who I pick. It'll be Tennessee. Candace Parker will play fantastically and Ivory Latta will go around making those bug-eyed faces (When her eyes get really REALLY big) and flexing her muscles while hitting a woeful percentage from the floor. Erlana Larkins will be the one to keep UNC moderately close in this game. In the end, Pat Summitt and her Vols will reach the National Championship game.

On the other side, I think I like LSU better. I'm torn with Rutgers. Do I want them to be beaten really badly after beating my Dukies? Or do I want them to win it all so that I can say that my Dukies lost to the eventual champs? I don't know. Regardless, I think that whoever gets out of this game loses to the winner of the other game. Anyway, I'll go LSU but if they lose I swear I'm not even going to wear Storm gear this WNBA season. I'm too dangerous.

Lindsey Harding won WBCA Defensive Player of the Year honors. :) This is great, great news and well deserved. I still hope Phoenix trades that number 1 draft pick to one of those teams looking for a PG so Harding can get taken number one. Come on, Merc. It's your duty. :) Besides, I don't think they'll take Ali at number 1 so it will probably be Davenport. Meh, I want a Dukie to go number one.

Duke has allowed Texas to contact Coach G. Five minutes after I hear this news (well, read it), people are swearing that she's in Austin already! Waitasec, didn't we just play a game on Saturday? I swear I thought that it would take at least a week for them to attempt to hire her. Howsabout a really really bad week for the Duke players, huh? On ESPN, Kara Lawson and Nancy Lieberman apparently said that it's basically in the bag.

Ok, how's this for how I'm feeling. Yes, I knew that there was always a huge possibility that she'd take the Texas job. I mean, all the signs were pointing to it. Isn't this kind of soon though? One reason is that there are so many coaching vacancies open that everyone is trying to land their right candidate/their right job quickly to avoid getting lost in the shuffle. Still, three days after mourning the Duke loss and already I think I might have something else to mourn about. I've disliked everything Longhorns for awhile (Because of their football mind you, not women's basketball). Does this mean I need to start lookin at those Texas baseball caps that are everywhere? Ugh. Duke fans on message boards I've read are being very classy about this whole thing. It's great to see.

Longhorn fans are so excited on their board. Great, they should be. Still doesn't make me feel any better though.

Fingers crossed still. But really, what the hell else would she be doing in Austin? Checking out the facilities?

Oh yeah, and on an unrelated but sigh-inducing note. Bruce Pearl, Tennessee men's head coach, was offered a job (for the life of me I can't remember the school and it's not really important anyway to my story so I just won't name it) and he turned it down right away saying that he wanted to end speculations and show his commitment or something to the fans, admin, etc.

When the Texas rumors started swirling around first and Coach G gave a very politically correct answer, I told my sister: Well, it's not like she could say anything else at that point, whether it be absolutely no or absolutely yes. From Bruce Pearl: I guess you can. Damnit, damnit, damnit. Fuggedaboutit...I'm going to start hounding the web for Seattle Storm news. (Speaking of, has Birdy signed yet???)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dude, so sorry UConn lost as well. :( And I guess GG is going to Texas after all... :(

Oh well... Go Storm Go! :D

Ana said...

JESS! Oh how I miss you so! Is the NCAA season over? I'm sorry. I don't really know much about this.

Are you visiting anytime soon? :)