Saturday, August 12, 2006

Seattle Storm Playoff Picture (and the Comets game too)

Storm--72
Comets--89

I can't actually comment on this game because I wasn't home when it aired. As such, I wasn't able to listen to it as well. Yes, I actually gave up a Storm game to do something else. It's shocking to me too, but it was worth it (especially since we lost anyway). I went to see the Rogers Cup tennis tournament at York University. Fun stuff, but now I'm redder than a lobster. Anyway, I'll post on that later.

Stat time

Betty Lennox had 16 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds. She did have 5 turnovers though. I'm a little bit more critical of guards when they turn the ball over than the posts so I'm a little worried about this. She did shoot 50% from the field, which is excellent.

Sue Bird had 14 points, 5 assists and 2 steals. Pretty good stat line. She only missed three shots from the field.

Tiffani Johnson had 14 points, 1 assist and 4 rebounds. Whoa. Good job, Tiff. Only two turnovers! And a pretty good FG%. Maybe she was trying to get revenge on the team that cut her but I wish she'd play like this every night.

Iziane Castro Marques had 13 points, 1 steal, 1 assist and 2 rebounds. The only negative thing is that she shot 6-16 from the floor. Izi has been on fire lately with the points and with the FG%. The points are okay still, but she can't miss that many shots. I wasn't able to listen to the game so maybe some of the shots were just to beat the shot clock going down. I'm not sure, but I hope so.

Janell Burse had 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 block. From what I can see from the box score, she only had 5 shot attempts (sinking 4) so I think they weren't calling her number very often. Still, 4-5 means consistency. I was a little surprised she played the amount of minutes she did. I would have thought she would have rested like LJ. Good thing she didn't get injured in this game. I think the fact that our starters played a lot of minutes (Minus LJ of course) shows that AD DID want that third spot. We're in fourth by the way. Bring on LA!!!!

Benchie review. I'm so tired and burned right now I'll just give a rundown. But they only scored 6 of our points. WTF??? Anyway, same as last game, not a lot of shots, not a lot of mistakes. Scored some. Barb Turner had 5 rebounds and Ashley Robinson had 6. A-Rob had 4 offensive boards. Yes! That's basically it.

So....Playoff time...I don't have any idea yet about the dates or anything (sorry, I'm too tired to look), but the Storm are playing LA. First game is at KeyArena while the next two are at Staples Center. Houston will face Sacramento. Good first round matchups all the way.

Even if the Storm are the fourth seeds, WE HAVE A CHANCE TO BEAT LA. We really do. We beat them handily at home for the first game. We beat them when they were in LA and we were without LJ. We lost to them after all our injuries only by 1 point. It was close all the way in that game. Am I getting too confident? No. I think it will be tougher than most people think. But do the Storm have a fighting chance in hell? They've got more. Come join in on this playoff intensity. It will be fun, it will be exciting...It will be standard Storm basketball. I'll post tomorrow about when the game is and I'll break down the three games against LA. Matchups, etc.

GO STORM! And to anyone reading this, come join us Storm fans on this run to the championship.

3 comments:

kilcher said...

i missed this game too. because i frikkin studied. hah. :D

seems like the people in the board aren't too happy about this game. hmmm?

Jessica said...

Yeah, they really aren't. =) I think it's because we haven't beat Houston in ages and it would be good to beat them before getting to the playoffs. Damn, if we get past LA and have to face Houston? I'd be sooo nervous.

kilcher said...

i know. i don't know what it is with houston but the storm just can't over that hurdle.

sending good vibes to the girls though. maybe the could prove us wrong and win against l.a. AND houston. :D